One of the things that AMD has excelled over Intel in the past few years is the overclocking capabilities of their CPUs. The company will carry this trend with its upcoming Zen 4 Ryzen 7000 processors.
Yuri Bubliy, aka 1usmus, managed to get the latest memory configuration options from the latest BIOS version. As expected, there will be several existing and new customization options for Zen 4 chipsets, and this can be seen as a teaser of what is to come on the AM5 platform.
The complete list of overclocking and tuning features provided by the leaker are:
- Active Memory Timing Settings function with Memory Target Speed setting.
- The maximum IF frequency is 3000 MHz
- LCLK frequency control
- VDDIO Voltage Control: DIMM VDD and DIMM VDDQ
- VPP voltage control
- UCLK MODE – No change
- PBO and Curve Optimizer are unchanged
- Times per channel: A, B, C, and D.
- The Extreme Memory Profile (XMP/EXPO) operates in two modes: low latency and high throughput.
- Active OC Tuner with 2 settings: CPU Current Limit and CPU Temperature Limit.
- Asynchronous CPU/PCIe clock
- CCX Clock Control, 4 CCX
- Leading watch
AMD Ryzen 7000 processors will ship with Active Memory Timing with memory target speed settings. This might be part of XMP/EXPO (Extended Overclocking Profiles) for DDR5 memory. Moreover, users can customize the timings for each channel (A, B, C, and D) and choose from a number of preset clocks/timing profiles in the motherboard BIOS.
There will also be VDDIO (DIMM CDD / DIMM VDDQ) and VPP voltage regulation options, but the main point here is that the maximum speed of the Infinity Fabric will be 3000 MHz or 3.0 GHz.
It is worth noting that the DDR5 overclocking scene on Zen 4 will be a big challenge. Low Latency High Bandwidth mode has already been mentioned, where Low Latency provides the best performance, and High Bandwidth mode is designed to take DDR5 overclocking to a new level.
Active OC Tuner comes with two settings: CPU Current Limit and CPU Temperature Limit. Users can also configure the Async CPU/PCIe, Host Clock, and CCX clocks. In addition to the basic configuration options, there are also several DDR5 memory settings that can be found in the BIOS, such as:
- Drum ODT Impedance RTT_NOM_WR
- Drum ODT Impedance RTT_NOM_RD
- Drum ODT Impedance RTT_WR
- Drum ODT Impedance RTT_PARK
- Drum ODT Impedance DQS_RTT_PARK
- ODT processor impedance
- DQ Processor Drive Strengths
- Strengths of the Dram DQ disc
- Strengths of the CK processor drive
- Strengths of the CA processor drive
- CS processor drive strengths
- RDR RAS (tab)
- DDR Training Options (tab)
- DDR Data Eye (tab)
AMD has provided several, and I mean several, overclocking and tuning features for its AM5 chipsets. Also, motherboard manufacturers might also include their own unique tweaking options for their chipsets. The Ryzen 7000 CPUs and chipsets are rumored to arrive on September 15.
About Advanced Micro Devices
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is an American multinational semiconductor company headquartered in Santa Clara, California.
AMD develops computer processors and related technologies for business and consumer markets. AMD’s main products include microprocessors, motherboard chipsets, embedded processors and graphics processors for servers, workstations, personal computers and embedded system applications.