For a game that’s still in its Early Access phase, Valheim offers a pretty smooth gameplay. However, enthusiasts have noted that obtaining the desired FPS performance hasn’t been possible in the Norse world of Valheim.
This should not happen as Valheim is not a graphics-intensive game. Emphasis is given to exploration rather than visuals that look convincing.
Given that Valheim still carries the ‘Early Access’ tag, we’re sure the developers will look into the matter and carry out the changes. However, we cannot just sit till then, right?
In order to give Valheim a performance boost, Redditor RustyB3ans has revealed three steps through which you can increase FPS in the game. Judging by the comments that the post received, the performance was uplifted by 30FPS in most cases.
Here are the steps you should follow to elevate your performance in the Norse kingdom of Valheim:
1. Boot Configuration Edit
- Look for the Boot Configuration file in Valheim’s game file.
- Right-click it and go to ‘open with’ and select ‘Notepad’.
- Type the following lines into the Notepad:
- Save your changes.
2. Steam Launch Setting
- Open Valheim in Steam Library and click on properties.
- Go to General category and type “-windows-mode exclusive” into the launch options tab.
3. Task Manager Setting
- Open Task Manager (control + alt + delete) and look for Valhalla under the Processes field.
- Right-click Valheim and go to Details
- Right-click Valheim.exe. Choose ‘Set Priority’ and set it to high.
As cleared by the Redditor, this is just a temporary fix. One will have to wait for developers to tweak the game.
4. What Does This Temporary Fix Change?
It must be noted that this fix by Redditor RustyB3ans doesn’t affect your graphics but adds stability. The changes made at Steam makes the game appear completely in fullscreen mode rather than borderless fullscreen.
Moreover, as claimed by RustyB3ans,
“The boot config edit/task manager tweak basically utilize your GPU/CPU cores & threads more efficiently.”RustyB3ans
5. About Valheim
Developed by Iron Gate AB, Valheim is an online open-world Survival craft co-op game. Here, players will control dead Vikings and fight Odin’s ancient enemies and monsters.
In order to enter paradise, players will have to please Odin and prove their worth to the allfather.
The journey will not be easy as at every step, the danger of supernatural entities will loom. Players will have to venture out, explore various landforms, craft, and get stronger.