Horizon: Zero Dawn is a game that, frankly speaking, does not need an introduction at all.
From the moment it hit the shelves, players and critiques have showered the game with a ton of praise, much of which is indeed well-deserved!
The game has an amazing world-building, a unique take on a post-apocalyptic setting, memorable characters, and one of the most well-written female protagonists of the past decade, especially in the PlayStation world.
This, coupled with an excellent soundtrack and a heart-wrenching story, made Horizon: Zero Dawn one of the must-have games for every PS4 owner!
To add a cherry on top, Sony also announced that PC gamers would now be able to enjoy this game as well, with a port of the PS4 version coming on Steam!
This announcement was big on Sony’s part. It, coupled with Microsoft’s newfound focus on PC gaming, might finally pull us into the utopian situation where every game is released on every platform!
Who knows, maybe Nintendo is taking notes as well!
But, and that’s a big but, how did Horizon do once it finally landed on Steam?
Well, it was less than stellar, to say the least.
The PC version of the game, upon release, was plagued with numerous bugs and struggled to run on even the most powerful rigs.
4K 60fps? That’s a dream well-off forgotten on the launch!
But, despite all of the performance issues plaguing the game, there is one particular bug that is both frustrating and hilarious at the same time!
I mean, hilarious for us and frustrating for the players!
What was the bug, you ask?
The bug was a progression-based one in which the cutscene that shows Aloy growing up into an adult, crashes, and we begin the adult segment with Child Aloy!
The bug was first witnessed by a Reddit user, who shared the video on r/Horizon.
It’s a little strange how the game’s most iconic scene crashes, and we begin the game with the child-version, almost as if she was put into some form of cryogenic sleep! A conspiracy, maybe?!
Well, I honestly don’t think so, as the bug has been fixed since then in Patch 1.03 of the game.
Other than that one specific bug, numerous performance-related fixes have also taken place, along with better utilization of the processor and the graphics card.
Another special fix was related to the 4K compatibility of the game. Now, the game will perform and run properly on the resolution with an accurate frame-limiter, if the function is enabled.
The entire Patch Notes entail as follows:
- Fixed a GPU resource leak which could build up over time and cause instability.
- Fixed a GPU hang that caused a crash that could occur when Asynchronous Compute was used.
- Fixed a crash when AI would try to aim at an invalid position.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when sound obstruction was calculated in highly detailed areas.
- Fixed a crash that would occur when moving the game to a monitor with different DPI settings while in the menu.
- Fixed an issue where some players would crash on startup due to incorrect memory allocation.
- Fixed a GPU hang that would occur when the window was resized to a very small size.
- Fixed a progression issue where some players would remain a child and not transition to adult Aloy.
- Fixed an issue where snow deformation was not working correctly in the Frozen Wilds area.
- Fixed an issue where the Concentration skill could stop working.
- 4K Scaling – Fixed an issue where the game wouldn’t render at 4K properly on boot.
- Frame Rate Limiter – Improved Frame Rate Limiter functionality to be more accurate.
- Localization – Localized specific error messages.
- Windows Version Check – The game checks if Windows 10 Build 1809 or above is used (lower versions cause instability in DirectX 12).
- Minimum Spec Warning – Improved minimum spec warning message and options.
- Saving Issue Warning – Clarified text that is displayed when you do not have access to your My document folder or enough disk space.
- Player Profile Validation – The player profile is now validated and corrupt profiles (caused by manual editing or tweak tools) rejected.
About Horizon: Zero Dawn
From Guerilla Studios comes a game that is the wildest ride you’ll ever experience!
Experience the story of Aloy, an outlier that is on a quest to unravel the mysteries surrounding the post-apocalyptic world, now overridden with dangerous machines.
Journey our protagonist to help her find her destiny and safeguard the future for herself and those around her!