Resident Evil Village has had a whole host of mods, with some bringing Barney the Dinosaur into the game and others creating a terrifying fusion of Lady Dimitrescu and Thomas the Tank Engine. Now, a new mod allows you to play the entire game in third-person mode, letting you have a view of the back of Ethan Winter’s head for the entire playthrough.
Created by FluffyQuack, the mod changes the native first-person perspective to a third-person shooter experience. Players have an over-the-shoulder view as Ethan battles through Lycans, mutants, mechanical soldiers, and of course, Lady Dimitrescu.
The mod is currently available for download, but there are some limitations, according to FluffyQuack. He does note that the mod is “rather janky” and has listed a few conditions and issues on their Patreon that players should be aware of before using the mod. These include,
- The mod is only applicable for the International release of Resident Evil Village.
- It will stop working if/when Village is patched; a new mod will then be released.
- Interacting with objects becomes difficult if the camera is too high or too low.
- The character will not face the right way if the player shoots without aiming.
- The camera position while using the sniper rifle is a bit off.
- Crouching looks really bad. Crouching while moving and aiming looks worse
- Animations often look goofy as the game was not built for third-person
- Weird stuttering movements with character as you begin moving
- The camera can easily “clip” through walls.
Many fans will find these limitations and problems worth the result of playing in third-person. The series has used an over-the-shoulder third-person perspective for almost every game leading up to Resident Evil 7, the first game to introduce Ethan and first-person view. Many fans vocalized their disappointment with this perspective change, but Resident Evil 7 was still received very well.
Over 4 million copies of Resident Evil Village have been sold, and we can expect to see more and more mods as more people get their hands on the game. Maybe we’ll even see Leon return to the game? It would make the setting very reminiscent of Resident Evil 4. But, until then, we do have Ethan’s third-person view to play around with.
About Resident Evil Village
Resident Evil Village is a survival horror video game developed and published by Capcom. It is the sequel to Resident Evil 7: Biohazard and the tenth major installment in the Resident Evil series.
The story begins with Ethan Winters and his wife Mia living happily in a new place, free from their past nightmares, a few years after the horrifying events in the critically acclaimed Resident Evil 7 biohazard. Just as they are starting their new life together, they are once again struck by tragedy. When Captain Chris Redfield of the BSAA attacks their house, Ethan has to go to hell again to get back his kidnapped daughter.