Have you recently updated Valheim and played on multiplayer servers? Then you must have come across the ‘incompatible version’ error that has been plaguing Valheim.
Valheim is a survival RPG game, and you need to survive in an unknown environment that can be very punishing. Many people have recently been unable to join multiplayer sessions as after a recent update, an incompatible version error is popping up more frequently.
1. What is the Incompatible Version Error in Valheim?
If you haven’t played much of the multiplayer or PvP modes of Valheim, chances are you might not have come across this error.
The ‘Incompatible Version’ error in Valheim prevents you from joining a multiplayer game mode if your game is on a different version than that of the server.
This has been a mood spoiler for me quite a few times as I sat down to play with the squad. Incidentally, the fix is relatively quite straightforward.
2. How to Fix The Incompatible Version Error in Valheim?
To fix the Incompatible Version error in Valheim, simply head to steam and manually update your game files to ensure you are running the latest copy of the game.
Navigate to your steam library, right-click on Valheim and select Properties. Head to the Updates tab and see if any updates are pending.
If you are running the latest version of Valheim and the server is running an older version, then the ‘Incompatible Version’ error can crop up.
3. How to Update Remote Server in Valheim?
You can force the remote server to update in Valheim from your end too. To force update the remote server in Valheim, follow the steps:
- Download and install SteamCMD from Steam
- Create a file called ‘update.bat’ in Valheim’s source directory.
- Insert the following lines in the newly created file, replacing the placeholders in the square brackets with the actual directories.
[SteamCMD directory] + login anonymous + force_install_dir [Valheim installation directory] + app_update 896660 validate + exit
C:\SteamCMD\steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir C:\Valheim +app_update 896660 validate +exit
- Save the update.bat file after writing the above text.
- Run the update.bat to update Valheim remote servers.
I. Method 2: Update Valheim Server directly from SteamCMD
If you don’t want to create an update.bat file, you can alternatively use SteamCMD directly to update the server.
- Download SteamCMD from Steam
- Go to the installed files and open SteamCMD .exe
- Type “login anonymous” without the quotes and hit enter
- Type “app_update 896660” without the quotes and hit enter
- This will update your Valheim Server
That’s it, now both your own copy of Valheim and the remote server should be updated.
4. About Valheim
Developed by Iron Gate AB, Valheim is an online open-world Survival craft co-op game. Here, players will control dead Vikings and fight Odin’s ancient enemies and monsters.
In order to enter paradise, players will have to please Odin and prove their worth to the allfather.
The journey will not be easy as at every step, the danger of supernatural entities will loom. Players will have to venture out, explore various landforms, craft, and get stronger.