Amazon Studios has gotten players hooked to their game known as New World. However, many have noticed that throughout the tutorial, there isn’t anything shown regarding using controllers. Therefore, it begs the question, does New World have controller support?
New World doesn’t officially support controllers, according to the game developers, but the inputs in the game are re-bindable. In other words, players can re-bind their keys to create custom controller layouts.
However, it isn’t that simple. The game doesn’t explain how to re-bind to controller keys, and it can get quite complex for New World Gamers.
To make the job easier, keep reading this article on how you can use controllers in New World.
How to Rebind Controls in New World
Players interested in playing New World using a controller can re-bind their controls in-game. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings by clicking the cog on the top-right corner of the screen, or press Esc.
- Locate the keybind settings on the left side of the menu. A list of in-game actions and their keybinds will appear.
- Left-click on the movement that needs change. After that, press the key or button from which you desire to perform the action given.
After doing this to all the keys, you can relax and play New World from the controller. However, there are a couple of disadvantages of using this method.
If gamers decide to play on their keyboard, they have to go through the hassle of changing their settings again. New World doesn’t have any secondary keybinds, meaning players can only use a singular key to do specific actions in-game.
But there is a solution to this annoying issue. Players can use the Steam Controller Configuration to avoid the hassle of changing the keys repeatedly in New World.
How to Use Controller to Play New World by Using Steam
To use a controller in New World with Steam, players need to connect the device to their PC. After that, bind the keys manually using the Steam Controller Configuration.
For using this method, users have to enable controller support on Steam first.
I. How to Enable Controller Support on Steam
Gamers need to enable controller support for playing Steam games like New World on their Xbox or Playstation devices. To enable Controller Support on Steam, follow these steps:
- Launch the Big Picture Mode on Steam by clicking the icon with two arrows on the top right of the application window.
- Once users are in the Big Picture Mode, click on the cog on the top right to launch settings.
- Navigate into the Controller Settings and click on it. A list with checkboxes on the left should appear.
- Tick the checkbox for whichever console players have. For instance, if you own an Xbox controller, tick the ‘Xbox Configuration Support’ to enable it.
Gamers now can use controllers in any games on Steam, including New World. But, this is only one of the first steps for using a controller in-game. Players have to bind their keys using the Steam Controller Configuration.
II. How to Play with a Controller Using Steam
For those who don’t know how to play on a controller in New World using Steam, follow these steps:
- Click on the icon with two arrows on the top right of the Steam application to enable Big Picture Mode.
- After entering the Big Picture Mode, open the settings by clicking on the cog on the top right of the screen.
- Search for the Base Configuration option under the controller category.
- Choose the Desktop Configuration to open the Controller Configuration.
- A screen with a controller in the middle will pop up. Click on any buttons and correspond them to the keyboard controls.
Now, gamers can enjoy playing New World using their controller! All different types of controllers can be used by following this method. Just make sure that the device is working well.
Both methods mentioned in the article for using a controller in New World cater to different preferences. Those that intend to switch between controller and keyboard regularly should use the Steam method. Others who don’t want to use a keyboard will prefer the in-game method.
Now, sit back on the couch and enjoy playing as you rise to the top in New World using a controller.
About New World
New World is an upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) by Amazon Games set to be released on August 31, 2021. The game was previously scheduled to release in May 2020 but was delayed to its current date.
Set in the mid-1600s, players colonize a fictional land known as Aeternum Island, modeled after North and South Americas in the Atlantic Ocean. The game will be using a buy-to-play business model, meaning there will be no monthly subscription fee.